Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Rediffusion

Rediffussion in S'pore will be making their last broadcast on 30 April. Its subscription has dropped from 100,000 in pre Speak Mandarin days to 10,000 in 2008 and then to a miserable 3000 this year. It is not possible for them to survive as the subscription cost average about $20 per month.

It is sad that another company which has been with S'pore for decades will be gone. As their broadcast has lots of historical value, effort is made to acquire and preserve them.

I grown up listening to the background broadcast from Rediffusion from my neighbours. Their broadcast became part of my daily life as my aunt whom we stay with had a set which was switched on the whole day. Then later my mum cannot do without it. Even when it became unreliable due to many HDB upgrading work which affected / damaged its line.

Yeah, ours is via line reception, as our area cannot receive their air broadcast. Not sure how my mum days will be like without her 'faithful companion'.

No comments: