Sunday, November 8, 2009

My Sister's Keeper

I came across this book by Jodi Picoult many times while browsing in bookshops. I did not get it until recently. Not sure why - perhaps the line 'There is a time for everything' explains it.

Normally if the book I have read is later made into a movie, I will go and watch it out of curiosity. More often than not, I will be disappointed with the movie version. This time - the movie is 'ahead' of me - I am only half way through the book.

I decided to catch the movie first. I think the movie impact is better than the book. I may be giving my judgment too early, since I have not complete reading it yet.

This is base on my emotional response. I know the story line is touching, but I have not shed a single tear so far reading the book. Watching the movie, I was sobbing away. The man sitting on my right was crying too. So was my friend sitting on my left. She told me before the movie started that it is hard for sad movie to draw tears from her. Surprise, surprise. Perhaps she having 2 daughters of her own make her identify more easily with the family portray in the show.

My Sister's Keeper has an interesting story line. Anna, a 13 year old girl is suing her mother to the right of her own body. She does not want to be an organ donor to her elder sister any more. Anna has been conceived specially to be a donor to her sister, Kate, who is suffering from a rare form of leukaemia. She has been a donor to Kate since birth.

The movie version is definitely different from the book, as one of the main supporting character is missing. I am not sure the extend of re-scripting done until I complete reading the book. At least I am sure of one thing - I am not disappointed this time.

I suppose for good books, I should watch the movie first before reading them in future. But then, I cannot predict if it will be make into a movie. So I am back to square one.

No comments: